Today’s project: Make a 3D Printable STL file!
I don’t have a 3D printer but a colleague just got one and has kindly offered to collaborate if I give him an STL.
I know that’s a filetype of 3D models but I’ve never made one. Time to figure it out.
- Learned to trace a rastered image into svg by placing and modifying bezier curve handles
- Learned to set fill of a closed path (took an embarrassingly long time)
- Learned to set an object’s pivot center
- Learned to import and extrude an SVG
- Learned to convert curve to mesh
- Learned the boolean difference modifier
- Learned what a “non-manifold mesh” is (but not how to fix it)
- Learned that some 3D printers consider Y axis to be vertical
Figuring out the above and producing this stl took ~3 hours.